Friday, September 14, 2012

How a Baby Prays

Lucy, lately, wants to do everything I do.  When I fold laundry, she wants to fold laundry (she takes an item out of the basket, wads it up, and carefully sets it on the bed).  When I wash dishes, she wants to wash dishes.  When I pray, she imitates me.  She finds a little book, kneels or stands or sits, and babbles in the tone of voice I usually use for reciting the Divine Office.

It had a flash of insight the other day, as she was doing this.  In the Sacrament of Baptism, the intention to "do what the Church does" is sufficient for a nonbeliever to validly perform the Sacrament.  In a similar way does it not stand to reason that the prayers of a toddler "doing what Mommy does" would be acceptable to God?

Just a thought for Moments of Grace this week.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cute! Lovely moment. And what a beautiful daughter.
    (I also love your blog background!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete