Saturday, February 12, 2011

Baby's first Funeral Mass

My husband's uncle died a couple weeks ago, and we attended the funeral Mass.  Now, before I continue, please understand that usually the baby is very, very good at Mass.  She watches the procession and asperges, and while she sometimes makes a few little noises, but nothing really disruptive.  I never have to take her out anymore.

There were tons of people at this funeral.  My husband comes from a couple of generations of large families.  It was standing room only, and we thought it prudent to stand at the back.  As we were going forward to receive Holy Communion, passing the casket and the front pews where the family was seated, my sweet baby girl decided that it was a good time to blow raspberries.  Lots of them.  As in a whole bushel basket full.  The people in the pews next to us were getting the giggles.  While there are many strategies for quieting a crying baby (you comfort her, by your and her favorite method), there isn't a lot to be done to quiet a baby who is happy and  making play noises (particularly when she has a giggling audience).

Please pray for my husband's uncle.  I'm afraid this was one of those events where those speaking assume the deceased is already in heaven (supposed to be comforting, I suppose), rather than reminding people to pray for him, and for their own happy death.

Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment